swiss-list: personal website / indexing /webhosting technical question

From: Nico Ghilardi <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 09:29:21 -0800

Hi all,

this is a question for all the computer folks among you. Others please
disregard.

I set up a website for myself, supposed to be some sort of professional
gateway. Currently I am hosting it at comcast, and I am having trouble
getting it indexed by google and other search sites. I am not sure why
that is, because I included meta information in the header and even did
the add URL thing on the google website. Still, if I am searching with
my search terms, it doesn't come up. I am wondering whether a ~ sign in
the URL screws things up (the site is currently at
http://home.comcast.net/~nicoghilardi/home.html).

Anyway, I would like to know how to get it indexed, so it will be found
if anyone searches using the relevant search terms.

I have also been thinking of getting my own domain name and host it
there, and I would need a cheap solution for that. 25MB of webspace
would be enough, and I don't need any sitebuilder or other tools. Just a
place where I can ftp my files. Any suggestions?

thanks much
Nico

--
Nico Ghilardi, Ph.D.