Re: swiss-list: personal website / indexing /webhosting technical question

From: Roger Meier <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:04:31 -0800

> my search terms, it doesn't come up. I am wondering whether a ~ sign in
> the URL screws things up (the site is currently at
> http://home.comcast.net/~nicoghilardi/home.html).

It shouldn't. My website used to have a ~ in the URL. Google found it.

> I have also been thinking of getting my own domain name and host it
> there, and I would need a cheap solution for that. 25MB of webspace
> would be enough, and I don't need any sitebuilder or other tools. Just a
> place where I can ftp my files. Any suggestions?

Check out this website: http://www.findmyhosting.com
this is a great place to find your webhosting service. If you want to stay
cheap, make sure you choose Linux as you hosting platform. Linux hosting is
almost always cheaper than Windows hosting, and if you are ok with FTPing
your files, Linux is just what you need.
There are some supercheap plans out there (less than 25cents/month), but
make sure you read the customer ratings. Most providers will also give you a
number of e-mail accounts you can activate for you domain (usually more than
you will ever need). Make sure you find out what configuration tools are
offered by the provider. CPanel is one of the most popular tools for Linux
based hosting, and it gives the user a lot of control over all the services.
It comes with online documentation which is easy to understand.
Most providers can register your domain name for you, but they charge you
anywhere from $8 to $25 per year.

I've been looking around for a new provider lately as well, and personally,
I would choose http://www.accuwebhosting.com. They are not the cheapest, but
they have by far the best customer ratings, plus they give you a year of
domain name registration for free if you pay the fees for 6 months up front.
If you pay for a full year, they even give you a free search engine
submission service (covers about 350 different search engines). The cheapest
Linux plan comes with 100MB diskspace and costs $3.95 per month, and domain
name registration is $7.99 per year. More details are at:
http://www.accuwebhosting.com/linux-webhosting.asp?q=web%20hosting

Good luck

Roger