swiss-list: lack of vacations kills

From: Pierre Demartines <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 08:41:09 -0800

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd pass along this article that my wife found in
the SF Chronicle few days ago...

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/02/

In other words, take it easy!

I'd be interested in views about "productivity" versus "price" of
staff. IMHO you get more bang for the buck when you let your
staff relax periodically (and by this I don't mean 2 or 3 days here
and there, but a mandatory "off-period" of at least 2 weeks so that
the brain really has an opportunity to take a break). Although I
don't have any data to support this, I would think that the boost
of enthusiasm and real productivity overcomes largely the "lost time"
of vacations. Some of my friends disagree with this, and suggest
that the cost of staff for the employer is made higher in other
countries (CH and other EU for instance), because of all that time
off. What is your opinion ?

~Pierre