RE: swiss-list: shipping bike from Switzerland to USA

From: Gilles van Ruymbeke <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 12:17:52 -0800

Hi all,
I got the same unpleasant experience:
I shipped my motorcycle from Switzerland in June 96,
got it registered at the DMV and used it for a month
without any trouble until a received the same annoying letter
from the DMV asking to get the SMOG check done.
Same problem as Pierre, no smog check for motorcycle,
Honda do not want to deliver any paper, DMV do not listen,
Bottom line: if you do not want to comply with the CA rules,
just go back home ... Welcome in California !
After a while I found out that the real problem was really stupid.
My Frame ID has only 12 digits instead of the 17 required
for US motorcycle, and this is enough to get rid of the smog
check issue...

2 Solutions:
=========
1) Stamp some more digits which I wouldn't recommend
in case of an accident as the insurance can go after you
for faking an ID...
2) Buy a salvaged frame from an other state, in my case
from Texas, and swap the frames. It is kind of painful
but this is legal, you definitively know your motorcycle
much better after that and most of all I have fun
with my NX650 for more than 6 years.

But BTW, I think that motorcycles are cheaper in the US...
Good Luck, Gilles

Gilles van Ruymbeke, Ph. D.
Principal Engineer
Bay Area Division of Microvision, Inc. (http://www.mvis.com)