RE: swiss-list: Airfreight

From: Ueli Eckhardt <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 11:38:17 -0800

Paul (and whoevere else might be interested!)

We're just in the process of moving back to Switzerland with 400kg of boxed
personal items.

The airfreight quotes I got are in the $1.80-$2.00 region (door-to-door).
But final costs are also determined by volume. Add to that fuel (ca.
$.25/kg) , airport transfer costs, cartage, residential pickup and liftgate
(if needed). For 100kg, it's probably going to be around $500.

I got quotes from various shipping companies, both U.S. and CH ones. One
webpage you might find interesting is www.moversusa.com, basically a broker
for various shipping companies. We haven't moved yet (coming Monday!) but
looking at price and level of professionalism, we will most likely go with
Dachser Transport (in L.A. phone: 310-645-0088). Their prices are in line
with the other U.S. competitors, but they are also big in the CH = someone
to turn to if we run into problems... Welti-Furrer's offer was approx. $1000
higher.

Hope this helps.
Ueli
Ueli Eckhardt