RE: swiss-list: advices...

From: Vinz Koller <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:46:57 -0700

Since I am a Monterey Peninsula resident I feel qualified to give advice on
this subject.

In Carmel I recommend the Colonial Terrace Inn (nothing in Carmel is cheap but
this one is more affordable than others)and only a couple blocks from the
beach.

In Big Sur I recommend Deetjen's Inn (right in the Redwoods) or the Big Sur
River Inn (right on the river with swimming pool). If you have lots of money
to burn I recommend the Post Ranch Inn (about $600-700 per night) for the
absolutely most spectacular stay in Big Sur overlooking the cliffs.

For best brunches with a view I recommend Cafe Kevah and for dinners that are
just ok and overprized but the atmosphere and views are great I recommend
Nepenthe. They are all part of the same complex that everybody knows as
Nepenthe.

For a stay with access to hot tubs sometimes you can get a room at Esalen but
they do book early and give preference to people who take courses there.

You can probably find out more about all of these on the web.

The best hikes in the area at Point Lobos State Preserve (about 4 miles south
of Carmel) the Soberanes Loop (another 4 miles south/ fairly steep but great
variety with redwoods and ocean views) and Andrew Molera State Park (with a
little bit of everything) about 20 miles south of Carmel (just before you get
to Big Sur).

Julys are cool and foggy here on the Central Coast. Big Sur tends to be
sunnier and warmer.

Enjoy the trip.

Vinz Koller