swiss-list: AP Report on Martin Buser

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 04:15:58 GMT

Seems no one explained the concept of dual citizenship to the poor guy ...
:-)
sp

Iditarod Champion Becomes American
Wed Mar 13, 8:42 PM ET
By MAUREEN CLARK, Associated Press Writer

NOME, Alaska (AP) - Iditarod champion Martin Buser took the oath of citizenship
Wednesday from a judge in a parka and a polar bear hat at the finish line of
the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.

The ceremony was held one day after the Swiss-born musher won the 1,100-mile
race from Anchorage to Nome in record time.

With his wife, Kathy Chapoton, and sons, Nikolai and Rohn, beside him and
dozens of friends and fans looking on, Buser held up his right hand and
renounced his allegiance to any foreign nation and pledged to defend the United
States Constitution.

A brisk wind whipped a large American flag hanging from the burled arch that
marks the finish line as Alaska Superior Court Judge Ben Esch administered the
oath. Esch then handed Buser his certificate of naturalization.

"Now I'm legal," Buser said after taking the oath and a loud cheer went up from
the crowd.

Buser, 44, was born in Winterthur, Switzerland, and has lived in Alaska since
1979. His decision to become a United States citizen was motivated by the Sept.
11 terrorist attacks, he said.

"It was time to fish or cut bait," Buser said. "Now I'll get to vote."

Prior to that, Buser said, he had not been ready to renounce his Swiss
citizenship.

The ceremony was marked by patriotic songs that brought tears to the eyes of
both Buser and his wife. Kathy Chapoton said she had never encouraged her
husband to become a U.S. citizen.

"You have to renounce your country," she said, pausing as her eyes filled with
tears. "He had to come to it on his own.

"It's just a fairy tale day. I don't want this to end," she said.

Buser shared the same feelings.

"I've got the greatest family, the greatest dog team," he said. "This day is
full of superlatives."

The arrival of musher Al Hardman of Ludington, Mich. at the finish chute
brought the ceremony to a close, with Buser helping to guide the team through
the crowd.