RE: swiss-list: AP Report on Martin Buser

From: Paris, Sarah <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:30:21 -0800

Marc is correct. However, for people like me who plan to stay in the
country indefinitely and are married to American spouses, the advantages are
still greater, at least that's the conclusion I personally came to. The
discrimination against legal residents has become very obvious, and
"consular assistance" is not always very helpful -- see the people who were
detained after Sept. 11.

Thank you Claudio for pointing out the dual citizen website, which I have
found very helpful when I had to consider the matter. Especially useful for
quick reference is the Q&A section. Of course, the site is written from an
American perspective, i.e. it refers mostly to Americans who acquire another
citizenship, not the other way around.

Many of us have been dual citizens for a long time and never had any
problems. My husband, who is an American, hopes to acquire a Swiss passport
in the not too distant future. In these strange times, I think it's a good
idea to keep one's options open ...

sp