Re: swiss-list: Importing fondue?

From: Celia Wilkinson <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 21:31:51 -0800

Hi Vuko!
I am also a big fondue fan!!!

I regularly bring back fondue mix and raclette cheese into SFO and never had
any trouble with customs. Even once, they checked my bag and were a bit
doubtful about the raclette cheese with peppercorns (they thought it was meat)
but when I explained it was peppercorns, they let me go. The cheese has to be
vacuumed sealed and with pasteurised milk. Last time, I had to pass through the
food detector and again, no problem.

You can find corn starch (maizena), as well as soda (bicarbonate de soude) in
supermarkets but if you import the Migros mixes (with
wine/kirsh/maizena...included), you don't even need it. I would recommend you
take these "all in all" mixes because I never managed to find the right wine
for the simple cheese mixes. Don't forget to import a bottle of Kirsh too - I
haven't found any here. And what is a Fondue without a "coup du milieu"?

Concerning the wine and the Kirsch, perhaps someone else in the Swiss-list will
be able to help...?

For the alcool a bruler, I found it in Costplus. It's called Fondue Fuel. I am
sure you can find it elsewhere as well.

Ah! Last little thing...Last time I put some fondue mixes in my suitcase, one
of them exploded with the change of pressure in the plane...it was rather
stinky when I got my suitcase back and all my clothes had to be rewashed...I
recommend you put the mixes in a spare plastic bag ;)

Have a Good trip back!!!
All the Best,
Celia