RE: swiss-list: urgent question on tax exemption regulations

From: Michael Fellner <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 18:01:04 -0400

Here is a quote from the tax reform act of 1986 the most current statue. I
am a student with resident status and although my scholarship is from an US
College the regulations should be the same:

"Scholarships amounts granted ... for expenses incurred ... are taxable
income, if the aggregate scholarship ... amounts ... exceed tuition and fees
(not including room and board), books, supplies and equipment required for
courses of instruction at (an eligible) institution."

This means that if your scholarship exceeds the cost of tuition, fees and
books (note: expense necessary for class that means any material or device
you can prove you needed for classes. Think computer programs etc.) the
excess amount is taxable.

I hope this helps, if not I would try to contact somebody in the financial
aid office of a University or College. They are dealing with these issues
all the time (international students etc.) and might be able to give you
more detailed info.

Take care,

Michael

Michael Fellner '03E