Re: swiss-list: Tax

From: Balthasar Bickel <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:13:18 -0700

mrudolf_at_idecpharm.com wrote:
> simple.As long as you are paid from an outside-US source with no affiliation to the >US, your income is fully tax exempt.
> Yor tax filing date is alos JULY 15, not april 15 (since you are exempt). You have >to fill out and file a form 1040NR as well as an additional form (I fogot the exact

This applies to nonresident aliens only, and - unless you're a student -
you can qualify as a nonresident only for two years. From your third
year onwards you're classified as a resident for tax purposes and you've
got to file Form 1040 (not 1040NR), just like a US citizen. My question
as to whether Swiss scholarships are taxable relates to THIS status, not
to nonresidents.

        But thanks for the reply!

        - Balthasar.