swiss-list: Summary: tax issues

From: Balthasar Bickel <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:57:33 -0700

Hi there,

Thank you so much everybody for their generous advice! Here's the
summary of what I found out from people's responses to my query, from
the UC Berkeley International Scholars Services, and from direct
information from the IRS (yes, they call you back when you leave a
message -- even now! -- and they do know about things!):

There are two important things to know:

1. As Ursula points out, you become a resident alien after two years of
presence ONLY if your salary comes from within the US. So, SNSF
fellowship holders continue to qualify as nonresidents in their third
year of presence!

2. For those of you who qualify as resident aliens nevertheless,
salaries and other renumeration from Swiss Government agencies are
tax-exempt under the current Tax Treaty.

I take no responsability for the correctness and accuracy of this
information. When in doubt, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040!

        Thanks again,

        - Balthasar.