swiss-list: urgent question on tax exemption regulations

From: Balthasar Bickel <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:42:36 -0700

Hi there,

This issue must have come up earlier on this list, but I'd still be very
grateful for any advice or pointer to a place where I could get advice
(before the 4/16 filing deadline):

I am here on a J-1 but count as an alien resident for tax purposes
(because I've used up the two-year period that exempts you from resident
status). Under this circumstance, is my scholarship from the Swiss
National Foundation taxable in the US?

I looked at the booklet on Tax Treaties issued by the IRS but I wasn't
sure whether I fall into the category of (i) Professors, Teachers and
Researchers or (ii) Wages and Pensions paid by a Foreign Government.

        Thanks!

        - Balthasar.