swiss-list: Tax

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 13:47:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi there

had the same problems a few years ago and got no help from my university at all. so I became sort of a tax-expert myself (t least for all that stuFff). It's very simple.As long as you are paid from an outside-US source with no affiliation to the US, your income is fully tax exempt.
Yor tax filing date is alos JULY 15, not april 15 (since you are exempt). You have to fill out and file a form 1040NR as well as an additional form (I fogot the exact number, but you'll find everything in the tax guide for aliens, publication 519). File with the forms a copy of your NatFonds letter stating the amount of money granted, take the exchange rate of the date the scholarship was granted and translate this into US$. Thats your income. Further down the from 1040NR you are able to deduct all that money again, leaving you with $0 income. I guess you will have to translate the letter, so do that on a separate page, and state at the end that you did this truthfully and to the best of your knowldege, sign and send the stuff out.

All the necessary Tax info relevant to your situation is available in the 'tax guide for aliens'. downloadable from the http://www.irs.gov/forms_pubs/index.html page. Be aware when printing out, its about 80 pages, and actually you need only the first 10-20.

Some additional advice:
If you moved to the US recently and you had some income here (from whatever source in the US) be aware that all costs for moving here are tax-decutable!!! there are special forms for that, too. Can save you lots of money.

If you get money from other outside sources (other funds, agencies, like the SSMBS or Roche Research Foundation, etc.)have them paid directly to your account. under no circumstances have them handled via a payroll department at your university, otherwise they will deduct overheads, social security (allthough you are exempt from paying) etc. Happened to me and I lost almost 10'000SFr in total.

And.....
Good luck with the IRS

Michael P Rudolf
Scientist I, Tumor Immunology
IDEC Pharmaceuticals Corp
3010 Science Park Road
San Diego, CA 92191-9080
Tel: 858-431-8481
Fax: 858-431-8715
e-mail: mrudolf_at_idecpharm.com

Bickel_at_socrates.berkeley.edu wrote:

Hi there,

This issue must have come up earlier on this list, but I'd still be very
grateful for any advice or pointer to a place where I could get advice
(before the 4/16 filing deadline):

I am here on a J-1 but count as an alien resident for tax purposes
(because I've used up the two-year period that exempts you from resident
status). Under this circumstance, is my scholarship from the Swiss
National Foundation taxable in the US?

I looked at the booklet on Tax Treaties issued by the IRS but I wasn't
sure whether I fall into the category of (i) Professors, Teachers and
Researchers or (ii) Wages and Pensions paid by a Foreign Government.