Re: swiss-list: Good long distance service?

From: Matthias Neeracher <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 15:41:16 -0700

On May 12, 2005, at 1:24 PM, danbarrowman_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> I've been trying to find a decent, low cost long distance service
> for calling
> to Switzerland and Europe. We used Bigzoo for years,

So did we.

> but they went out of business. Too bad, they were good and not very
> expensive.

We're having a surprisingly good experience with the LD-Peanuts long
distance service <http://www.ldpost.com/lds/901.html>. I say
"surprisingly" because the silly name and the horrible web site
design did not exactly inspire high hopes.

> Here's what I want:
>
> 1. Ability to dial a toll free or access # from anywhere.

Yes.

> Also willing to have it dedicated direct dial at home as well.

If by "dedicated direct dial" you mean something like Bigzoo PINskip,
I don't think they have that.

> 2. Must have speed dial capability. I.e. you can program speed dial
> via their website.

Yes.

> 3. Low cost but I'm willing to pay more if it just works well. The
> difference
> between 3 cents and 7 cents per minute isn't a big deal to me.
> But right
> now, my choices seem to be 3 cents for crappy service, or
> expensive 15-20
> cents for good service from the company. There must be something
> in between.

I think they are about 3.5 cents/minute to Switzerland.

> 5. I'd rather avoid VOIP in general. Non-VOIP service is cheap
> enough and the quality is better.

We've had some problem with other services which were VOIP (echoes
and other artifacts). Connection quality on LD-Peanuts seems to be
decent, although from their Website, one could think they were VOIP
(however, the few artifacts we're hearing seem to be traditional
rather than VOIP style).

Minimal purchase is $20, so you might just want to give it a shot and
see whether you like it.

Matthias