Re: swiss-list: Change of company while on H-1B

From: Jeroen Snepvangers <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:52:42 -0700

Chris,

You are right. The rule Clinton put into place did say that you can indeed
start with your new company right away - I am not sure if this was repealed
by Bush, although probably not as he was quite pro-immigration at the start
of his administration. I would only like to add that your main risk is that
if the new H1B gets rejected, you are in a tricky situation. Of course, you
still have your old H1B status, but your old company may not want you back.
Although this situation is admittedly rare, my wife application for a
renewal of her then existing H1B was denied, while staying in the same
position and with the same company, causing us lots of headaches.

Jeroen