RE: swiss-list: green card + moving from CA

From: Peter Buerki <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:31:38 -0400

From all I remember what I was told during my own green card application
process, and particularly in view of the current political climate towards
alien's, I would highly recommend you to file for adjustment ASAP and stay in
the USA until the adjustment will be granted. Do not mention to anybody from
immigration that you already know that you will leave end of September. It may
even be wiser to postpone your date of departure if necessary.

If you leave now, that means to US immigration that you abandon your green card
application and do no longer wish to become a resident. If you apply for the
green card again later, you will have a tough time explaining to them, why you
changed your mind again, and it will be much less likely that your second
application will be approved.

You may want to obtain a second opinion about this from a different lawyer. I
do not recommend stopping short of getting your green card now. You may leave
the country after you have the green card, but you will be required to stay a
minimum amount of time in the USA each year to keep up your green card status.
So start planning your vacations in the USA :-).

Regards,

Peter Buerki
Oceanside, CA