Re: swiss-list: Taxes and dependent.

From: Dona Mommsen <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:54:54 -0800

Hi,

I am in a similar situation, as I arrived last october on a J2 visa and I have
currently no income too. However, my tax advisor told me that I don't have to
file anyting, as long as I am not long enough in the US to be considered a
resident (for tax purposes). So I was wondering if I need to file form 8843,
and this is the answer I got from my tax advisor:

>My understanding of form 8843 is that if you would otherwise be a
>resident alien but for an exception in the law that makes you a
>non-resident alien, then you would file form 8843. One exception is an
>F visa holder - they are non-resident aliens and they are required to
>file form 1040NR with or without any income to report.
>
>In your case as I recall, you would be a non-resident alien for 2002
>under our statutes (i.e. the three year day count). Accordingly, if you
>have no income to report - no return is due. You might file that form
>in 2003 if it otherwise applies. However, I think it is not normally
>filed in your situation. You would be a resident but you would have no
>U.S. income. If you have U.S. income you would file form 1040NR and
>attach the 8843 to it.

Best Regards

Dona