Re: swiss-list: Taxes when returning to CH

From: Laurent Piguet <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:33:24 +0100

Antoine,

Actually, with a green card, it's more like "you pay taxes for life"...
As long as you hold a green card, you pay taxes in the US, wherever you
are. If you don't make much money, it's no big deal, because there is a
~$80K of income below which you don't actually have to pay in the US. But
you still have to file a tax return, which I consider a major pain in the
you-know-what.

More recently, I have read in passing that people keep paying even after
they surrender their green card for a certain number of years. Don't
remember all the details, but apparently it's to avoid people doing fiscal
evasion...

I don't know about H1B's

Oh, and if you are Swiss, incorporated in the service and didn't pay your
military taxes while abroad (3 years worth), fret not, they are patiently
awaiting your return (actually, this may vary from canton to canton, some
perceive them up front when you leave, I believe).

Cheers,

Laurent

--
Laurent Piguet