Re: swiss-list: Taxes when returning to CH

From: Claudio Fleiner <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 17:38:35 GMT

In 2003 you fill out the taxforms for your earnings in 2002 and depending on
that you will get a refund or have to pay some more.

In 2004 you fill out the taxforms for your earnings in 2003 and depending on
that you will get a refund or have to pay some more.

Usually you will only have to pay taxes for income you got while you were a
resident in the US, so in 2004 you would only be taxed on income you got in
2003 while you were still here (you may have to declare your total income
though, and then make the appropriate deductions). Check the guide about non
residency (from the IRS, 540NR IIRC), it has all the gory details.

Claudio