Re: swiss-list: Eligibility to the relief from Japanese income tax

From: Martin Duerst <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:59:55 -0500

Hello Thomas,

I have lived and worked in Japan several times for several years.
With regards to taxes, it was straightforward, I was employed in
Japan, I got paid in Japan, I paid taxes in Japan. Of course
I didn't pay taxes in Switzerland.

As far as I understand (but I'm not an expert at all), both
Switzerland and Japan (and many if not most other countries)
tax purely based on where you live and earn your money. The
US is the only country I know where citizens have to pay US
tax even if they don't live here. For Switzerland, the only
exception I know is the 'Milita"rpflichtersatz', which you
pay for three years after leaving Switzerland.

I also know that there is (or at least has been, but these
things usually don't go away) a tax treaty between Japan
and Switzerland. Years ago, when living in Japan, I tried
to get deductions on interest (Verrechnungssteuer) in
Switzerland reimboursed. After a lot of paperwork, they
told me that it was only possible if you were a permanent
resident in Japan.

Also, as far as I understand, tax treaties are usually designed
to eliminate double taxation. Sometimes, they are some chances
to eliminate taxation at all, but that's really the lucky cases.

Also, as far as I understand, tax treaties don't necessarily
apply to citizenship. For example, if you stayed in the US
for a long time and paid taxes here, and are now in Japan,
the US-Japan treaty may apply.

Regards, Martin.