Re: swiss-list: Moving back: Container to CH / Customs / Taxes / Car

From: Chris Cavigioli <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:08:15 -0800

You must have a very special car that is dear to you.

Whenever you import a vehicle to another country, the vehicle must comply
with the local regulations when you arrive. You may need to have a fair
amount of body work done, replace speedometers, swap headlights for another
style, replace bumpers with another type, reinforce doors or frame, etc.

The good news is that WTO globalization is making products less
regionalized, so that it's easier to import foreign products to a new
country.

The bad news if that this will take time, cost money and you will need to
rent a car for the weeks or months while your import car is being
refurbished, so it may not save you any money.

I admit my experience is old, but in 1974, we shipped a 1968 VW Squareback
sedan via the S.S. France via Le Havre to Switzerland. My dad had totally
refinished the car into perfect condition before leaving the USA. Upon
arrival in CH, there were regulations about all body repair (rust holes,
etc) must be repaired with metal, not bondo, etc ... so they had to remove
all the fizes he had done and re-do it again at the local Swiss labor rates.

So, I cannot give recent advice. You will learn a great deal with the many
phone calls and research that you will do. Personally, if you have a
special, unique collector car, then I would go for it .... but if you have a
regular car, I'd sell it on craigslist and buy a new one when you get to
Switzerland. That will save you a lot of time and money, I think(??).

-chris