RE: swiss-list: AVS/AHV fac pour boursier FN

From: Laurent Mieville <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:07:58 +0200

Hello Marc,

My experience was the following (in CA 95-98)

I had a scholarship the first year from NSF + some additional money from my
University (Stanford). The consulate has usually a person in charge who does
the calculation based on your income. The activity of your spouse and
his/her income may come into play as well. I didn't chek how they did the
calculation since this is pretty complex to me.

When I came back from my US stay in 98, I received some hundreds of swiss
francs in return from the caisse AVS based in Geneva. I think they are a
good place to inquiry how the rules apply if you are unsure of the way you
got taxed. I found more information under
http://www.guidesocial.ch/Documents/1/1_14.htm

Best

Laurent