Re: swiss-list: AVS/AHV fac pour boursier FN

From: Hans-Juerg Jost <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 23:25:08 -0700

Hi,

I had a grant from the US National Research Council (NRC) and had to
go to court with the AVS to only pay the minimum. I did win in the
end, and the court case should be published by the AVS (though I
couldn't find it online). This was for a period in 1996-1999. Court
decision was in 2000. If the law changed since then, my case might
not apply.

The main points:
The difference to pay minimum or the percentage were very subtle. In
my case, the grant was NOT a salary, e.g. I did NOT receive a W-2
wage form from the NRC, but a 1042S. It is key that you don't receive
the money for specific services in the context of a research project.
Your activity should be defined as "professional development", and
not as research. (Das EVG hielt im Urteil vom 30. November 1993 fest,
dass"Empfänger von Nationalfonds- und anderen Stipendien
dieVoraussetzungen für eine Anerkennung als Studenten im Sinne von
Art. 10 Abs. 2 AHVG dann erfüllen und also nur den Minimalbeitrag an
die AHV/IV zu entrichten haben, wenn das Stipendium überwiegend für
die berufliche Weiterbildung also nicht primär zu Forschungszwecken
d.h. für ein konkretes Forschungsprojekt eingesetzt wird (AHI-Praxis
1994 S.92)"

If you want more information about my case, please don't hesitate to
contact me.

Cheers,
Hansjuerg