swiss-list: working in the US and paying the military tax in Switzerland...?

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:06:18 -0800

Hi all,

I live in Seattle for almost 2 years now and am under an H-1b visa (payed
by the US company).
I did pay my military tax for the year 2000 and receive yesterday (2 months
later...) the one for the year 2001.
I have to declare my US income that will be transformed in CHF Francs (at 1
$ = 1,68CHF...) in order for the Swiss government to calculate the amount I
should pay.
Let me tell you that I think that this is a really strange procedure since
I do not pay taxes in Switzerland anymore... (In fact I pay taxes in the
US) but still have to pay this bloody military tax for at least 3 years.
Any comment on that, any way to avoid paying that amount of money (!!!)?

Let me know!

Take care,

Pierre