Re: swiss-list: working in the US and paying the military tax in Switzerland...?

From: Laurent Piguet <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 11:33:14 +0100

Well, there are a few things you can do:

1) Give up your swiss nationality :) you would probably still owe for
2001 though... (ok, just kidding, all right)

2) Cry and ... pay. If you somehow don't pay now, they will catch you
when you go back anyway (yes, it happened to me, even though it wasn't
my fault, since I never received a bill in 1995)

3) Negociate and spread the paiements. Being abroad, you "only" have to
pay for 3 years. Maybe you can ask to spread your paiements, to reduce
the burden on any one year.

4) If it might be in your interest, you might try to force them to do a
default taxation (taxation d'office). They don't take into account your
current data, since you didn't provide it, but make an estimate based on
previous data. In some cases, this can probably turn to your advantage.
But it could turn to your disadvantage... :)

5) I have always wondered about contesting the arbitrary exchange rate
conversion. Since this doesn't take into account the differences in
purchasing power, it doesn't make sense (especially for people in the
US, I guess). Maybe there is a valid claim here, but you will still have
to pay something.

Laurent