swiss-list: Hell is... Fly Swiss?

From: Massimo Fuchs <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:25:43 -1000

Here we seem to go all over again...

Just focus on high-end branding, luxury positioning, life style
consulting, porcelain plates, etc., spend a billion Swiss Francs for it,
and all will be fine, right? Just sell those tickets based on the brand
expectation thus created, and then don't worry or care about the
delivery anymore, as the sale was already made and the money received
before the service must be delivered anyways, right?

As if the name and the other nonsense alone would make a difference
between success and failure for a commodity service business with a very
high component of fixed costs and overhead.

As for me, I couldn't care less what name the airline has that I'm
giving my thousands of dollars of monthly air travel budget to, what
color the plane is in, what cross or symbol the tail harbors, where the
on-board merchandise was made, or where the fabric of the seat comes
from, for as long as it is secure, reliable and efficient, giving me
value for my money, and meets or exceeds my expectations, consistently.

If the same gauging, arrogance of its staff and snobbish approach to
service prevail, as before, I, like many, will continue to avoid the
flying Swiss tube, regardless of the "name with sex appeal," as
mentioned in a Swiss tabloid recently. How did that joke about hell go
again, the British for food, the Germans for police, the Italians for
organization, the Swiss for sex...? Or is it now the Swiss to run an
airline?

IMHO, time to focus on, and invest money in, what really matters, not
the least into the people that actually make a name. Or maybe Messrs
Dose Brule should simply take a couple of flights on Southwest and look
at the financial performance SWA achieves with its straightforward,
reliable and consistent approach: keep the expectations low, then exceed
them, and everybody will be supportive and happy. A $98 investment,
round-trip...

Best, Massimo