swiss-list: AHV / AVS with a stipend

From: Hansjurg Jost <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 09:19:16 -0700

Hi all,

I am struggling with the "Rekurskommission der Alters, Hinterlassenen und
Invalidenversicherung fuer Personen im Ausland".

My case: I got a stipend from the National Research Council here in the US.
I joined the voluntary insurance after I was told by the consulate that
with a stipend I would qualify to pay the minimum amount.
When I filed my paperwork it was decided that I have to pay the full amount
because my stipend was not tax exempt in the US (to my knowledge there are
hardly any tax exempt domestic stipends anymore).

I filed an appeal with the above commission claiming that with a stipend
from the Swiss National Fund I would pay the minimum only. I was bluntly
turned down because I did not prove that SNF funded postdocs only pay the
minimum. (Sidenote: I asked the AHV in Geneva for all the laws, rules and
decress governing these decisions. I simply got the standard booklet where
SNF postdocs aren't mentioned at all....)

After calling up the consulate I learned that other people are struggling
with the same issues. I was wondering if someone in a similar case has
taken the next step. I am a little worried of doing it, because I might end
up paying a lot of process fees if I loose.

Please let me know if you had a successful case with similar background, or
if you are in the same position. We could potentially file an appeal
together (share the cost risk).

I also know that people were appealing because spouses of SNF funded
postdocs had to pay the full amount on half the income (or so).

Thanks,

Hansjürg