Re: swiss-list: AHV / AVS with a stipend

From: Berthe Y Choueiry <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 14:14:39 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Hansjurg,

Yes, I am *still* struggling with the same issue. And, the good news
is that we, at least the people on FNRS fellowships, *are* rightfully
entitled to pay the minimum amount.

> I am struggling with the "Rekurskommission der Alters,
> Hinterlassenen und Invalidenversicherung fuer Personen im Ausland".
well, before I go any further, the above issue is what is known in
French as the AVS? correct?

> I was bluntly turned down because I did not prove that SNF funded
> postdocs only pay the minimum.

Whoever turned you down is wrong. There is a 1993/1994
"jurisprudence" of the Federal Court (Tribunal Federal, the highest
court in the country) of *two* cases of "advanced researchers" from
the FNRS, one of which was being payed by his US host in addition to
his FNRS fellowship, that *clearly* stipulates that the fellows should
be charged as "personnes en formation", thus the minimal amount.

During 97 and 98 (24 months) I was on an "advanced researcher"
fellowship from the FNRS. I have been trying to pay my contribution
to the city of Lausanne, and have been since January 99 waiting for
their "verdict" (after a first verbal and informal discussion).

I was shown the text at the AVS offices of the city of Lausanne. I
had in *my* hands: it reads very clearly. The clerk refused to give
me a copy. But, it should not be difficult for me to go to the
relevant archives and find one by myself (any pointers and hints will
be appreciated).

Please let me know whether this is relevant to your request and
whether you need more info.

Cheers,
-Berthe

choueiry_at_lia.di.epfl.ch