Re[2]: swiss-list: AHV / AVS with a stipend

From: Luca Vassalli <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 19:48:49 -0700

     Louis,

     if your last comment is true
     (I thought there is a totalization agreement between the US and
Switzlerand, so the years paying SS tax should count towards AVS, no?)

then there is definately no reasons to pay the AVS at all.

In any case I believe that the revenue from the AVS (assuming it will be around
when I retire) will not be able to pay back what I put in unless I live well
past 100. I would count on it only if I fear that all my other investment go
really bad (what is the likelyhood of that?).
With a Bay Area salary 10% is a lot of monney that you cannot recover! This
forces you to invest your 10% in conservative manner and does not live you with
much monney to invest agressively (wich by the way you will need since the AVS
does not allow you to have a minimum standard of living as it is now)

IMOW

Luca