Re: J1 restrictions

From: Hansjurg Jost <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 11:33:25 -0700

Hi,

Thanks again for all the input I got on the topic. The Swiss list proved to
be very useful one more time. On the very first phone call to Peggy Wilson,
Alternate Responsible Officer, Exchange Visitor Program, National Research
Council, Washington DC, (my visa sponsor) I was told that there is a 30 day
limit. But with all the information from you folks, and after forwarding
Gloria's answer (kindly posted by Laurent Vuilleumier) I convinced her to
look into the matter again. I am now able to participate on a field trip
for the whole planned period.

Here is the final answer from Peggy:
>I have reviewed the federal regulations, and considered Gloria's comments
>below. She is correct that there is no precise statement about time out of
>the country during your program. However, I have heard from a program
>officer at USIA that they a consider a program to have ended if a person is
>out of the country a long time. Again, none of this is written.
>Therefore, if your IAP-66 is valid, I don't see any reason you can't go on
>travel for longer than 30 days, provided you take your IAP-66 pink copy,
>I-94 card, and passport with you. You will need my signature on the back
>of your pink copy OR a "travel letter" that Delorse can prepare for my
>signature, which may be simpler and safer to send to you before your
>departure.
>
>Please bear in mind that your 36-month "clock" will still be ticking (it
>must be a Swiss clock!) throughout your absence. I cannot extend
>your visa to compensate for the time you will be out of the country.

Conclusion:
No restrictions, but time abroad still counts for J-1 maximum stay.

Enjoy your trips
Hansjürg

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİÑis message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list