Re: sfbay: high speed internet access any ideas?

From: Chris Cavigioli <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:10:07 -0800

I am an SBC DSL customer in SF. I have a letter here on my desk about a class
action lawsuit against SBC where apparently someone is claiming SBC made
misleading representations regarding speed, reliability, connectivity,
accessibility, security, billing, etc, etc... Perhaps they are now being more
prudent(?) or maybe Millbrae has a poor copper plant out there. Who knows....

Regularly I discard junkmail from AT&T about some cable service, but once when
I actually looked at the advertisement, it seemed to only include cable TV, not
Internet access ... but that could be a geographical thing too(?).

I also found a residential wireless internet service at SBC called
"FreedomLink(sm)", but when searching for the 802.11b hotspot locations in
California the website only lists locations in San Antonio, TX(?).

I have considered moving and this brings up a good point: HOW DOES ONE VERIFY
*BEFORE* moving into a new place if that place is within the DSL or cable ISP
service area? ...that the twister pair/coax is fully functional? I don't know
how to answer that question because you normally need to enter your phone
number to check for DSL availability via the SBC web pages. Before you move
in, you don't usually have the phone number yet(!). The SBC web doesn't search
via street address.

Sorry I can't answer your question, Nico.

You probably don't want to change your mind about moving into that new house
and go elsewhere.

-chris