RE: sfbay: high speed internet access any ideas?

From: Michael R. Schuppenhauer <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:27:55 -0800

The skinny is the downside of cable vs. DSL:

DSL is bad if you are to far (aka more than 14000 to 17000 feet)
from the next amplifier/station. They will still sell you DSL but
downgrade the line to 380kbps or even less. This would be the
suburbs.

Cable is bad if you are in a highly populated area, with too many
people on the net. This would be San Francisco.

I had Cable and DSL in Redwood City in the hills. I would
recommend Cable over DSL if in a less densely populated area.
Some tricks to deal with companies:

* READ the agreement, find out until when you can return the
service at no charge for non-performance (this is 30 days).
* Cause hell and high-water in the first few days so they get the
message
* If things are not performing give them shit on a daily basis

In my experience the customer service with all providers sucks
massively.

I am now in Half Moon Bay and we are on satellite, but not the
Earthlink crap that is useless. There is basically only one
decent provider (and I tested ALL): GroundControl.

You may go with them (speed is about 256 - 380 kbps) or better
check out when cable is going to come. I find it hard to believe
that Millbrae has no cable.

Michael RS