RE: sfbay: experience with used car buying?

From: Michael R. Schuppenhauer <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 00:23:55 -0700

In an ideal world you want to buy from a dealer that certifies and thus
gives you a one year or so warranty. We did that and as incapable the
mechanics were so far we very much needed the guarantee. Buying newly used
cars, in particular upmarket European (BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Saab, Volvo)
should save you a bunch as they loose much more value than US cars in the
initial years when sold again.

Still: You can get the VIN from the car and then check the backgreound on
the internet for the individual cars. I would recommend avoiding cars that
come in from the North East or Mid West as corrosion will be an issue. Also
the VIN check will bring up other red flags that are obvious. Other than
that buying a used car is like buying a horse (and I did both): mostly you
do not know what you get.

Good luck!

Michael RS