Re: sfbay: experience with used car buying?

From: Remigius K. Mommsen <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:15:51 -0700

Hi Nico,

I'm far from an experienced used cars buyer, but I was looking for a car
about a month ago. We checked several dealers and most had one or two
eye-catcher with fabulous discounts. The cars had mostly a huge mileage
for their age. The main aim of those cars was to get people into the
store and then showing them other cars which are a bit better or less
worn out. Of course the latter cars were at the normal KBB value. But of
course you can be lucky and find a good deal with an eye-catcher car. At
one place they told us, that they lower the price on Friday and
advertise it in the Friday newspaper to get people in for the weekend.
So maybe it is worthwhile to check on Fridays for the reduced cars while
the good deals are still there.

We finally found our car (Toyota Corolla 97) in the classifieds. It was
sold by a garage which had a few cars to sell.

Cheers,
                Remi

On Thursday, August 22, 2002, at 09:27 PM, Nico Ghilardi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking out for experiences by people buying used cars from
> dealers. I've been looking around on the internet, specifically in the
> classifieds on www.sfgate.com, and I find all those miraculous deals, up
> to 46% off KBB value. I am stunned and wonder what's wrong with those
> vehicles. They are all advertised for by dealers. Is the carmarket
> really such that they have to give those discounts on used cars, or are
> the dealers sneakily trying to get rid of lemons? I haven't actually
> looked at any of them yet, but I wonder whether there is anything I can
> do to avoid wasting time checking out lemons.
>
> any experiences appreciated
>
> Nico
>
> --
> Nico Ghilardi, Ph.D.
> Molecular Oncology Department
> Genentech, Inc.
> 1-DNA Way, Mailstop 40
> South San Francisco, CA 94080-4990
> USA
>
> 650-225-6907 (office)
> 650-225-1081 (lab)
> 650-225-6443 (fax)
>
> Please don't forget to donate your daily click to the hungersite and
> related sites. Thank you very much.
>
> http://www.thehungersite.com/

Remigius K. Mommsen e-mail: mommsen_at_slac.stanford.edu
University of California, Irvine URL: home.cern.ch/mommsen
c/o SLAC voice: ++1 (650) 926-3595
2575 Sand Hill Road #35 mobile: ++1 (650) 387-1402
Menlo Park, CA 94025, US fax: ++1 (650) 926-8522