Re: swiss-list: expired driving license II

From: Nicole Hillbrecht <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 09:39:13 -0800

Californian DMVs are horrible! I have been here with a B1 visa (if I
remember correctly) a few years ago. With that type of visa you don't
get a social security number, however, the DMV specifically asked for a
SSN and would not issue a drivers license without it, even though I was
able to find the accordant text in the law and would show it to them.
They told me to go to the INS to get a letter which states, that I will
not get a SSN with that visa - and when I came back with that letter,
they denied they ever said that I would get a drivers license after all
(this, of course, after waiting half a day at the INS...).

I finally went to another DMV, about 15 miles away and got my license
without any problems.

So - you might just try another DMV? :-)

Nicole

Nicole Hillbrecht
headwire
25006 crystal circle