swiss-list: Re: GSM/GPRS/EDGE in CH? data services on prepaid SIM? broadband Internet in CH?

From: Dan Barrowman <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:18:19 -0800 (PST)

Chris,

I have T-Mobile here in the US with a Handspring Treo
270. My wife has T-Mobile as well. They have
international roaming available for a flat $1/min
while overseas. No SIM card change required. It worked
great, no other monthly fees, just the flat rate. We
used our phones while in Switzerland over Chistmas. My
GPRS data service worked as well, but it's not cheap.
They charge by megabytes downloaded. I'm not sure how
much as I just tried it to see if it works. Also, you
can SMS for just 0.35 cents per outgoing message while
in Switzerland/Europe (incoming SMS is free!?). We
used that extensively since it was cheaper than a
$1/minute phone call.

I also wanted to try a prepaid SIM card but you have
to have an unlocked phone. I tried my wife's brother's
card in my phone and it did not work. My card did work
in his (unlocked) phone. I've heard you can ask
T-Mobile to unlock your phone after being with them
for a while, but I haven't tried it yet.

T-Mobile is very good to have here, if you plan to go
to Europe much, since it is owned by Deutsche Telecom.
BTW, T-Mobile doesn't support the Treo 600 yet, but
they are planning to.

I hope that helps.

Dan