Re: [Swiss-list] dual citizen, which passport can/shall I use?

From: Peter Buerki <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:31:36 -0400

Dear patricia,

Congratulations on becoming a CH/US dual citizen.

I think most important is to use your passports consistently, e.g., do not
enter a country showing one passport and leaving it showing your other
passport. Otherwise, you will soon be running into trouble with the respective
immigration authorities.

>From the US point of view, you no longer have a Swiss passport. Thus your US
passport must be your default means of identification to any US authorities.
In the worst case, it may be interpreted that you voluntarily gave up your US
citizenship and it may be revoked.

Here is what I am doing. In order to avoid any problems at the US border or
within the USA, I am booking all my domestic and international flights from/to
the USA using my US passport.

For travel outside the USA, e.g., for any passport controls with CH and the EU
countries, I use my Swiss passport. I always carry both passports with me for
international travel, so I can use one or the other a I see fit, also depending
of how much US citizens are liked in a particular country.

In case of visa applications, I would also use one or the other passport
depending on the political situation in the country to be visited. If you book
your travel to countries requiring a visa through a US travel agency, you must
use your US passport. If you book your travel with a travel agency outside the
US, you can use either of your passports.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Peter Buerki
Oceanside, California