Re: swiss-list: moving things back to our beloved Switzerland...

From: Laurent Piguet <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 07:12:42 +0100

>- moving things by air or by sea: which option

I am not sure there is much of an option. Air would probably be
prohibitive, unless you only ship a portion of your stuff that way.
Personnally, I found that you can pack quite a bit of stuff to be taken
with you on the plane, especially if you have two kids (they each get some
luggage allowance).

>- good moving companies in the US that would not charge too much for doing
>the job

Ahahahaha. Well, one piece of advice: do your shopping... Prices can very
tremendously.
We went for the low budget approach, and everything worked out very well
(except when the truck couldn't get close enough to our house in
Switzerland, which forced us to unload about 100 yards from the door). Not
a thing was broken, except by us when we unpacked.
Check out the directory on swiss-list for the names of a few moving
companies, including the one I used:
http://www.swiss-list.com/links/Returning_to_Switzerland/Moving/index.shtml

>- are we still allowed to pack our stuff ourselves or not (I know that there
>were some security issues post 9-11...)

No idea. It probably varies.

>- moving boxes vs. container: where is the limit where a container might be
>considered?

A container can be 20' or 40'. I think some people have used the option to
"split" a container, but that might become a bit complicated. Honestly, I
don't think the container itself costs much.

>- we've got two mountain bikes and a Burley trailer. How should we move
>these things?

In a container!

>- insurance issues
>- etc...etc....

All movers will offer insurance. You will have to do an inventory of your
goods, with estimated value. If I remember well, there are two kinds of
insurance: partial (they only replace stuff that has been completely
destroyed, lost at sea or something) and total (claims on one item that's
broken). For the price difference and the total price, it's worth getting
the full deal.

In our case, the goods arrived after about 6 weeks. One piece of advice,
get a cell phone number that you can write down on the forms. That way,
they can reach you anywhere when you stuff arrives.

Finally, a move of this magnitude is after all not such a big deal. It just
feels weird at the moment when the movers take off with your container, and
you are left with your empty house.

Laurent

--
Laurent Piguet