Re: swiss-list: credit history

From: Nico Ghilardi <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 13:18:57 -0800

Dear Leonore,

here are some more ideas:

Question 1)

- get a credit card, and use it a lot. To get this card, you might have
to lie about your salary on your application, so check with your
employer whether they support you or not. I found, somewhat
surprisingly, that some employers attest you a salary twice as high as
they actually pay you so you can get your credit card. I got my card
through a relocation agent, who somehow was able to persuade the bank
that I had a clean record in Switzerland.

- buy a car or something else on a loan (doesn't need to be new). Cars
are good because nowadays the loans are almost interest free. But
anything where you commit to regular payments should do the job.

- get a store credit card, e.g. mervyn's. These cards give you credit in
only that store, but work like credit cards. Might be difficult to
obtain w/o a credit history

- once you have a credit card, make sure you pay as much as possible
with the card. The more volume, the more likely they are to raise your
limits, and this is a measure of your trustworthyness.

Question 2)

renting apartments, cell phone contracts, getting a loan of any sort,
particularly for a house, getting another credit card with better
interest rates or features you like etc etc

Question 3)

Nothing to prove. Your transactions get reported to I think three credit
history institutes, and as long as there is nothing wrong, you are out
of trouble. Once you have a credit card, everything goes automatically.
When someone runs a credit check on you (you can also do this yourself),
they will get all the information on whether you are a late payer, how
much debt you currently have, how high your limits are, and more.

hope this helps

Nico