swiss-list: credit history

From: Leonore Wigger <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 18:12:51 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I've been living in the US for almost a year and it
looks like I am going to stay a few more. I am trying
to figure out the concept of credit history.

1) what can I do in order to build one?

I know being on a lease helps.
I know having (an) American credit card(s) helps.
What else?

I am sure someone, somewhere, has compiled a handy
list...

2) What might I need it for?

So far I've encountered the situations of landlords
asking for exorbitant deposits from me, and credit
card companies unwilling to approve me.
(But I've also found out that not all landlords and
credit card companies are like this, fortunately).

3) How do I best "prove" my credit history?
What service should I use?
When an agency runs a credit report on me, where do
they get the data from?

Any explanations and/or personal experiences are
appreciated!

Best regards,
Leonore Wigger
San Francisco