Re: swiss-list: international calling plans -- quality vs. cost

From: Stefan Ludwig <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:06:45 -0700

I was a frequent user of this web site and the 10-10 services (always used the
cheapest one). I had quality or connection problems on and off with various of
these. In January, I switched over to using prepaid calling cards. This is an
old hat to many of you, but it's actually 3x cheaper than the cheapest of the
10-10 services. Plus, you don't pay a Universal Service Fee of some number of
%s. There are gotchas with prepaid calling cards, though: they typically expire
3 months after first use, they round to 3 or more minutes, some of them have
connection fees per call, etc. The 3 months expiration is not a problem if you
just get $10 worth of call time each time you renew.

Check out www.phonecardsforsale.com. You go there, pay 8.95 or something and get
a gazillion minutes to Switzerland. I took the risk of paying that money, to
check the service out. You give them a credit card and they send you a pin by
e-mail and you're up and running. The only annoying this is that you have to use
an 800 number and a 15 (or so) digit pin, before you start dialing the Swiss
number. But you can program those numbers into your phone and just push a couple
of buttons before dialing. The quality is really good and I didn't have
connection problems so far.

Stefan