Re: swiss-list: AVS/AI (AHV/IV): HELP!!!

From: Olaf Koch <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 17:48:02 -0700 (PDT)

There is an agreement between US and Switzerland about
the Social Security. Basically it says that if you
contribute in one of the system that counts for the
other. The link for the agreement is:
http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Texts/switzrld.html

I was not successful in finding the same statement
from the Swiss government so far! I tried the embassy
and I contacted
Swiss - American Chamber of Commerce,
Talackerstrasse 41,
8001 Zuerich
by email. This institution should have information
about the agreement, but I didn't get response neither
(I got the pointer from an other Swiss-List
subscriber).

Anyway, all that doesn't address your situation not
directly. Sorry.

BTW you are not able to contribute to the AI (IV) at
all, as far as I know. You should look for some
support through your employer for that.

2. BTW the embassy will now (after you subscripted)try
to get that dam money from you. Pretty aggressive if I
remember right. If you decide not to contribute to AVS
(AHV) you just have to ignore their attempts, the law
is on your side they can't force you to pay, that's at
least my interpretation of it. I subscripted as well
and then decided not to pay. I finally called AVS/AI
(AHV/IV) in Geneva, got all the documentation and
called again to tell them to stop the terror and
referred to the according paragraphs.

Olaf