Re: swiss-list: double residency (US-CH) for 6 months????

From: Laurent Piguet <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 08:58:13 +0200

Actually, there is one more twist: you can only apply for the deduction
(in order not to be double-taxed) once you satisfy a few conditions. One
of them is the "12 months" test (or something like this): basically, you
need to have been living abroad for at least 12 months before you can
get the deduction. (for all the details, there is a specific IRS
publication on this)

In our case, we had to file for an extension first, and the actual tax
return claiming the deduction once the year was past.

Another thing you can do: talk to an accountant who knows both the US
and Swiss systems. I know such a guy in Geneva. Let me know if you want
his contact info.

Laurent

--
Laurent Piguet                                    laurent.piguet_at_epfl.ch
Coaching Team                                 Mobile: +41 (0)79 310-3249