RE: swiss-list: Mutual funds in Switzerland

From: Louis Perrochon <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 17:22:07 -0700

1) Am I allowed to invest in Switzerland ? I'm taxable in the US and
don't have any legal residency in Switzerland anymore.

Of course you are allowed to invest in CH. But Swiss Banks are not allowed
to sell you mutual funds (or at least not to advertize). I still have some
from earlier, and it is very hard to pay required US capital gain taxes on
funds that don't have the accounting that allows you to figure out how much
you owe (remember, in the US, if a fund manager sells stock with capital
gain, the fund owners pay the tax).

The law changed on this for 2001. I don't know the changes. I think
Verrechnunssteuer on Mutual Funds, but I am not sure. Anybody? Anyone knows
a good CPA or lawyer with CH experience?

2) Where would I have to pay taxes ? I assume in the US, but I'm not
sure.

Yes, the US will tax you on it (unless you hide it from the tax
authorities). Switzerland does not tax you on it, except for "35%
Verrechnungssteuer". That "foreign" tax you may be able to deduct from US
taxes.

3) Do you have any information about mutual funds in Switzerland ?
Preferably online. Someone mentioned Raiffeisenkasse some time ago, but
I forgot who it was.

There are tons of them on the Web. With performance charts and quotes. Start
with bilanz.ch or so.

Louis