swiss-list: What happens with the army when I come back to CH?

From: Andreas Bill <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:42:21 +0100 (CET)

FOR INFORMATION:

To those men who, like Laurent, come back to Switzerland after a long time
spent abroad:

A law adopted in 1995 says that if you have spent 6 years or more abroad,
you are free from your army obligations. If you insist, meaning if you
write to them, you may reintegrate the army once back in Switzerland (the
army administration will write to you when you send your "Livret
militaire/Dienstbuechlein".) I thought it may be usefull to know it before
coming back.

 One consequence of this is that you have to pay compensatory taxes (as
anyone who is not incorporated in the army) the amount being determined by
the days already spent under the flag. The other is that you are then
belonging to the "protection civile/Zivilschutz".

Note that this law applied to me, even though I left Switzerland in 1989.

Best regards to sunny california!
Andreas

A.Bill
Paul Scherrer Institute