Re: AHV and more (fwd)

From: laurent mieville <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 12:19:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

A message Davide asked to post on the list. LM

-----

Hi,
         I am sending this to you because when I sent it to:
                 swiss-list_at_lists.Stanford.EDU
 it bounced! Please feel free to post it on the list.

> >I take the occasion to ask the members of the list their opinion about
> >another issue. The swiss consulate is willing to subscribe to the
> swiss-list
> >(they have an email) to help in discussions like these for example. Their
> >goal is to be connected with the swiss community and also the swiss
> postdocs
> >or scientists in the bay area. Some would fear this as an intrusion into
> >more private discussions which remain unofficial by definition. I don't
> >see this as big brother watching us but I am aware that some of you would
> >not agree with me. Please feel free to react/comment so I can take the
> >best decision.

I personally think that the swiss consulate (or every other official swiss
authority) should NOT be allowed to subscribe to the mailing list.

The main reason for this is privacy: there may be some issues which could
not be discussed freely on the mailing list, knowing that some authority
has access to it.

On the other hand, nothing speaks against contacting the consulate be
e-mail on a case by case basis to gather the official position on some
issues (like AVS, immigration policy, taxes, etc.).

Whatever decision will be made by the administrators of the mailing list,
it is important to clearly inform the members of the list about it (please
make sure to also inform every new subscriber). So far, I appreciate the
steps taken by the list administrators on this regard.

I hope to have made my point clearly enough.

Davide

Dr. Davide Guarisco Phone +1 (415) 723-3100 (office)
Dept. of Materials Science Eng. Phone +1 (415) 725-1453 (lab)
Stanford University Fax +1 (415) 725-5457
Stanford, CA 94305-2205 http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~guarisco
This message was created and sent using the Cyberdog Mail System