AVS-AHV

From: Marc-Olivier Andre <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 18:37:29 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Swiss et al.,

Just a few comments regarding the AVS-AHV problem.

First of all I've been surprised to read that some had not been sufficiently
informed about the necessity to keep up with the AVS payments. When I got the
info package about the National Foundation scholarships, it included information
about this topic. Maybe it was not clear enough and we should then ask them
to write it in a more precise fashion. In addition, both the Embassy in the
Netherlands (where I've resided first) and the Consulate in San Francisco
have sent me what seemed to be unambiguous information about the AVS.

Now the revision of the AVS law may introduce an unpleasant trick for most of
us! If I'm right, spouses with no income did not have to pay AVS contributions
under the old system. Now everyone has to, the minimum contribution being the
Frs. 380.- per year that unemployed persons, students or National Fundation
scholarship holders have to pay as has always been. The trick is that NF
scholarship holders spouses may have now to pay much more than their husband or
wife! A strict reading of the new law implies that the contributions of an
unemployed spouse should be calculated on the basis of half of the income of
the employed spouse, i.e. the scholarship for most of us.
For instance, if the scholarship is Frs. 44'000.-, then the spouse taxation
would be x % of Frs. 22'000.-, which could amount to something like 700 or 800
Frs!! This sounds illogical, but I got the info from the SF Consulate AVS
representative. He is trying hard to have the AVS officials in Geneva accept
that the unemployed spouses should not pay more than their husband or wife.
This was the situation as of two months ago. I don't know whether or not a
decision has been made so far.

As for the Consulate joining our mailing list, I vote YES! The two
representations I have dealt with have been very supportive, competent and
friendly, so I don't feel threatened by the SF Consulate listening to our
conversations!

Greetings to all of you and good luck with your activities in the Bay Area!

                                                Marc-OIivier Andre

Marc-Olivier Andre Phone: +1 510 642 3634/4376
University of California Fax: +1 510 642 1304
Department of Physics E-mail: andre_at_physics.berkeley.edu
366 LeConte Hall #7300
Berkeley, CA 94720-7300
USA