AHV

From: Hansjurg Jost <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 17:43:16 -0700

Hi folks,

Got a question for you: What are you doing with your AHV? Did you all apply
for the "freiwillige AHV"?

Before I left Switzerland a little more than a year ago, I was told by my
local "Ausgleichskasse" that I could pay the minimum yearly payment (about
SFr 400) up to 5 years back as long as I am not working. This is true,
because I get a stipend from the US and not a salary.
 So, since I have this 2 year homestay requirement on my 3 year max. stay
J1-visa, I thought to go that way instead of joining the "freiwillige AHV"
for Swiss abroad.

Now my parents got mail from the AHV, where they pointed out that I might
not have paid the minimal yearly payment. My father then made a couple of
phone calls and he was basically told, that this "pay minimal charge later"
does only work for maximum of two years. And if I won't join the
freiwillige AHV immediately, I would loose benefits because of non-payment
years, if I decide to stay in the US for more than two years.

Do you have any pointers to laws, something "black on white" how late you
can make your yearly minimal payments and for how long. What did you do?

If you respond to me directly, I will post a summary. Still, your comments
might be of general interest so you might want to send it to everybody.

thanks
Hansjürg
hjost_at_mail.arc.nasa.gov

İİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİİÑis message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list