AHV and more

From: laurent mieville <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 12:10:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everybody,

Following the message from HansJuerg about AHV (AVS), I got a similar surprise.
In my case, I asked the administrative staff in my hometown from Switzerland
and they told me also I could pay when I come back. Later I was told by
the Swiss Consulate that it was not the case and I should apply for the
facultative AHV (AVS) here. This can be done no later than one year after
you left your regular AHV in Switzerland. I decided to apply to the
facultative AHV finally. For those interested , I have a two pages information
text from the Consulate (in french). I can fax to those interested. You
can request the full booklet (others languages) from the consulate.

I take the occasion to ask the members of the list their opinion about
another issue. The swiss consulate is willing to subscribe to the swiss-list
(they have an email) to help in discussions like these for example. Their
goal is to be connected with the swiss community and also the swiss postdocs
or scientists in the bay area. Some would fear this as an intrusion into
more private discussions which remain unofficial by definition. I don't
see this as big brother watching us but I am aware that some of you would
not agree with me. Please feel free to react/comment so I can take the
best decision.

Finally , for those of you who were brave enough to read this long email, here
is some american joke I hope you will appreciate.

Laurent M.